Election Clerk Recruitment
Preparations are underway for the 2023 Provincial General Election, and we are now hiring Election Clerks for electoral divisions across the province. If you are a committed, community-minded individual interested in conducting the next provincial election, we encourage you to apply now!Apply Now
Election Clerk Role
Election Clerks are appointed in each electoral division to provide election management support for the Returning Officer. The Election Clerk provides direct support and assistance to the Returning Officer in preparing for the election, selecting returning office staff, opening a returning office and conducting the election. Once an election is called, the Election Clerk leads the recruitment of election officers, as well as assists the Returning Officer in managing the duties of returning office staff.
The Election Clerk would perform the role of the Returning Officer, should the Returning Officer not be able to continue in their duties. The Election Clerk is required to follow all processes and procedures in accordance with the Election Act and the direction of Elections Alberta.
Election Clerks will commence their role in Spring 2022, assisting the returning officer with the selection of polling places, selecting a suitable place for the returning office to be established, and planning for targeted enumeration activities. Election Clerks will be asked to work part-time hours during this phase.
Once the next Provincial General Election is called*, Election Clerks will work full-time during the election period. Election Clerks will also need to be available for training, to open and establish the returning office, as well as for post-election closing activities.
*Bill 81 establishes a fixed election date. Once it comes into force, the next provincial election is anticipated to occur on May 29, 2023 (writ issued May 1, 2023).
There are currently 5 Election Clerk positions available.
- Returning Office in Cochrane
- Central Peace-Notley
- Returning Office in Valleyview
- Satellite Office in Fairview
- Returning Office in Hanna
- Lesser Slave Lake
- Returning Office in Slave Lake
How to Apply
All applicants must complete the two-step application process:
- Complete the online application and upload a copy of your resume in our system. (A cover letter is not required.)
- Complete the election-related knowledge assessment. You will be provided with a link to the assessment after you submit your application and resume.
All applications will be reviewed. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.Apply Now
Are you interested in the position, but still curious about what is all involved?
- Learn more about the returning office team and the other roles in the returning office on our Positions page, or
- Ask us a specific question through email at email@example.com.