ID Required To Vote

To vote, you must show identification to prove your identity and current address.

To do this, you may provide one piece of Government-issued, photo ID, including your full name, physical address, and photo. Otherwise, you need to show two pieces of ID, both containing your full name, and with one showing your current physical address. See what we accept below:

One Piece of Identification

Your Alberta Driver’s Licence or Identification Card can be shown as one piece of ID, if it has your full legal name and current physical address.


If your Driver’s Licence or Identification Card does not have your current address, you may use it as one piece of ID, in combination with another piece of ID showing your current physical address.


Driver’s Licences and Identification Cards only containing a mailing address (e.g. PO Box)

  • If you registered to vote using both your physical and mailing address, and the mailing address you provided matches your ID, you do not need to provide additional identification
  • If you are not registered to vote, or your registration does not include a mailing address that matches your ID, you will need additional identification to prove your physical address (i.e. legal land description, lot-block-plan, or 911 address) prior to voting.

Two Pieces of Identification

When showing two pieces of ID, ensure that both contain your full name and that one piece shows your current physical address.

    • AISH Card
    • Alberta Forestry Identification Card
    • Alberta Health Care Card
    • Alberta Natural Resources (Conservation) Card
    • Alberta Service Dog Identification Card
    • Alberta Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) Card
    • Birth Certificate
    • Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate
    • Canadian Forces Identification Card
    • Canadian Passport
    • Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card
    • CANPASS, FAST, or Nexus Card
    • CATSA Identification Card
    • Certificate of Indian Status Card
    • Firearm Possession and Acquisition (PAL) Licence
    • First Nation Membership Card
    • Fishing, Trapping, or Hunting Licence
    • Government Issued Cheque or Cheque Stub
    • Income Tax Assessment
    • Letter from a Public Curator, Guardian, or Trustee
      Library Card
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Métis Nation of Alberta Citizenship Card
    • Métis Settlement Membership Card
    • Old Age Security (OAS) Card
    • Outdoors or Wildlife Card / Licence
    • Property Tax Assessment or Evaluation Notice
    • Public Transportation Card
    • Social Insurance Number
    • Statement of Government Benefits
    • Vehicle Ownership or Registration Certificate
    • Veterans Affairs Health Care Identification Card
    • Employee Identification Card
    • Residential Lease or Sublease
    • Membership Card (Service Club, Fitness or Health Club, Political Party, Retail)
    • Utility Bill (Electric, Gas, Water, Cable, Telephone, Internet)

    • Account Statement
    • Bank or Credit Card
    • Insurance Policy Certificate or Statement
    • Mortgage Statement
    • Pension Plan Benefit Statement
    • Personal Cheque

    • Alberta Health Services – Patient Wristband
    • Canadian Blood Services Card
    • CNIB Identification Card
    • Hospital or Medical Identification Card
    • Prescription Bottle Insert or Container

    • Correspondence from an Educational Institution
    • Student Identification Card

    • Baptismal Certificate
    • Confirmation Certificate


If you are unable to provide any identification, or cannot confirm your current physical address, you can be vouched for by another registered elector in your voting area.


We can also establish your identity through an attestation.

In the specific instances shown below, the attestation form is used in lieu of having a vouching elector physically present. However, the authorized signatory holds a position of authority that ensures the named elector can be confirmed as eligible.

Attestations Authorized Signatory
Elector in Supportive Living or Long-Term Care Facility Operator or Manager, Recreation Director or Manager, Registered Nurse
Elector Living on Colony Colony Manager, Colony Minister
Elector Living on Reserve or Settlement Chief, Band Manager, or Membership Coordinator; Settlement Chair or Administrator
Elector Receiving Services From Shelter or Community Support Centre Shelter or Housing Administrator (who has strong familiarity with regular clientele)
Student Living in Residence Student Residence Coordinator or Housing Services Administrative Staff
Tenant Elector Titled Land Owner, Lessor, On-Site Caretaker, Third-Party Management Administrator

For more information on the use of attestations, please contact us

To see a complete list of acceptable identification types, click here.